Pages

Sunday, November 13, 2011

My First Blog Entry

My first blog entry, wow.  I ask myself, who wants to read what I have to write?  I don't have an answer so I'm going to forge ahead.

I’ve done some blog research (I emphasize “some”) and there are a lot of them out there.  Holy smokes!  There are opinions about everything and as my Drill Instructor used to always say, “Opinions are like –” … maybe I won’t go there, but you get the drift.

Obviously I have a geeky side, as the “Star Trek Live” picture should indicate.  I’ve worked in the aerospace industry, specifically space related systems, for a number of years and I had never visited the Kennedy Space Center.  I’ve been to Orlando numerous times, which is but a stone’s throw from Cape Canaveral.  Go figure.

So, finally, in April of this past year I made the trek.  And I enjoyed it; a piece of American history.  I only hope that it doesn’t die before we launch the next gen of space craft.

I know there are people who wonder why the need to travel into space.  Granted, I’m biased, since I owe my home and car to the space industry.  But from my perspective, the benefits have been worth the time and money.  The innovations that are a direct result of the space program are many.  Just Google space program inventions, you’ll see what I mean.

I have a wide range of interests, foremost being science fiction, so I suspect most of my posts will relate to this genre.  I’m a fan of “Star Trek” (all of them, even Enterprise, though I admit I didn’t really care for Star Trek: The Motion Picture) and “Star Gate,” especially “SG1.”

I just finished watching Green Lantern.  I liked it; I think a sequel has potential.  But then … I’m not a purist.  I thought Abrams did a terrific job with Star Trek (2009), I don’t see anything wrong with referring to science fiction as sci-fi and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the DH (though a DH should never be MVP; but that’s another argument).
See you next week, same Bat-time, same Bat-channel.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree that the space program is extremely undervalued in this country. (Why are we sending our satellites to the Middle East just to get them to space?!?) But I think its effect is much bigger than the inventions it spawns: As a species we need to start thinking about getting off of this planet! Because unless there's a huge revolution in environmental awareness, this rock is going to be uninhabitable in a matter of generations, so if we want our species to continue, we've got to look to the stars :)
    Very interested in following this blog, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, as Stephen Hawking has even said, the universe is an extremely dangerous place, and there is something out there waiting to obliterate our planet.... Our at least wipe out all life therein (it's happened before, it will happen again!). Our best bet as a civilization is to spread out as much as possible out there... Besides, how else will you ever get away from that one commercial that drives you nuts (or that person)...?

    Your first blog post, my first blog read... Finally one worth reading!

    ReplyDelete