Pages

Monday, March 26, 2012

A Different Kind of Bug

When I was pursuing my degree in Computer Science, I took an English class that detailed the history of theater. My intent being I wanted any easy class; something I could show up for and pass with little or no effort. Unfortunately, no one told the instructor it was supposed to be an easy A. The professor was very serious in regards to the theater; most likely because he was a member of Actors’ Equity and he played a priest in a funeral scene at the end of one of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies.

I had no idea there was so much history regarding the theater. I had a passing knowledge of Shakespeare – I knew I’d pass up the opportunity to read anything written by the Bard – but that was it. We went over everything from the origins of Greek theater through present times. We discussed various types of theater, such as the black box, proscenium theater and theater in the round.

I learned there is a fourth wall—the invisible wall between actor and audience.

Holy smokes! Who knew?

In hindsight, I suspect this class laid the groundwork for my current love of the theater.

The Drama Studio, in Springfield, Massachusetts, is a conservatory style training ground, aimed at young people ages nine through eighteen. They offer classroom instruction and performance opportunities. It’s a great place for young people to express themselves in a judgment-free zone. Many of the kids go on to major in the arts in college.

The Drama Studio also has a smattering of adult offerings. It was here that I wrote my first play, The Devil You Know, upon which I based a short story of the same name. I also had the good fortune to see the play put up for a weekend during the Studio’s Winter Shorts in January, 2010.

The Drama Studio creates an intimate setting, seating less than 100 patrons. The audience is literally on top of the actors.

On two separate occasions, I had the pleasure of performing in the Drama Studio Winter Short productions. I had not felt such a rush since I played bit parts in high school. There’s something about performing live, even in front of a few people, that gets the blood flowing.

This past weekend, I partook of an adult acting intensive at The Drama Studio. It had been a few months since I had been to the studio and I didn’t realize how much I missed it. I admit, there was some trepidation about spending a chunk of my free time in acting classes, but once I got there, I remembered why I love the theater.

Make no mistake, I will never be confused with De Niro, but it doesn’t matter … I still had fun. I know, it’s not Broadway but it’s the next best thing for me.

Anyone else have the urge to walk the boards?

No comments:

Post a Comment