Pages

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Not America's Favorite Pastime ... Yet

The 2012 Major League Baseball (MLB) season is nearing a close and this makes me reflective.

I don’t know a baseball fan that isn’t familiar with the tune, “Take Me Out to the Ball Game.” According to the Baseball Almanac, the lyrics were written in 1908 by Jack Norworth on a scrap of paper. Albert Von Tilzer composed the music and by the end of 1908, the song was a hit.

The quintessential lines, “Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jack. I don’t care if we ever get back,” remind me of sitting in the stands and taking in the sights and sounds of a baseball game. The cheering/jeering crowd, the perfectly manicured field of play and the in-game strategic moves by the managers coalesce to make baseball my favorite of the professional sports.
Courtesy What-If

So, when one of my kids sent me the link to realivistic baseball I was intrigued. In a nutshell, the webcomic describes what would happen if a pitcher could hurl a baseball at the speed of light. It’s an impossible scenario but it’s still interesting to postulate the outcome of such an event. According to what-if.xkcd.com, the end result would be a firestorm that destroys everything within a mile of the park.

I think I’d rather watch that game via video feed.

If you’re seeking a snack while lounging on the couch watching your favorite realivistic baseball game and you’re too lazy to move, you’re out of luck. Supposedly a device, the Popinator, has been developed to shoot popcorn into your mouth once you issue the command, “Pop.” However, according to ABC News 7 out of San Francisco, California, it's just a guerilla marketing campaign for a popcorn company. Darn, that’s so disappointing.

I figured if they had a machine that could shoot popcorn, an automated beverage shooter wouldn’t be far behind?

Explosions and hoaxes aside, is anyone interested in catching a game and noshing on some popcorn?

No comments:

Post a Comment