Pages

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Cool Cars

I’m not a car guy; never have been, probably never will be. I know squat about cars other than where to put the gas, how to change a battery, a tire and various light bulbs, and how to refill the washer fluid. Thirty years ago, I used to change my own oil but it’s so much easier to have someone else do that.
1955 Chevy Courtesy Google Images

You can count on one hand the number of classic car shows I’ve been to and I couldn’t tell the difference between a ’55 or a ’57 Chevy. At the risk of having my man-card revoked, I’ll admit I find car shows … boring.
1957 Chevy Courtesy Google Images
However, as with many things in life, you do not have to be an enthusiast to appreciate something awesome.

And awesome describes the Terrafugia TF-X™ flying car and the Egoista from Lamborghini.

Terrafugia’s website says they intend to catalyze a revolution in personal mobility. According to Terrafugia the commercial aviation industry has an impressive safety record but flying can be a hassle. They state the average commuter spends nearly five hours a week stuck in traffic, and globally, more than one million people die in car crashes each year. It is their desire to combine the safety of flight with the convenience of the automobile.
Courtesy Google Images

Terrafugia’s website says they intend to catalyze a revolution in personal mobility. According to Terrafugia, the commercial aviation industry has an impressive safety record but flying can be a hassle. They state the average commuter spends nearly five hours a week stuck in traffic, and globally, more than one million people die in car crashes each year. It is their desire to combine the safety of flight with the convenience of the automobile.

Terrafugia envisions the TF-X™ as a street legal, vertical takeoff and landing aircraft that will fit in a standard one-car garage and carry four people. EXTREMETECH reports that the TF-X™ is based on proven technology – the Marine Corps V-22 Osprey. It’s about a decade away from being available to the public and will probably cost close to $500,000.

Courtesy Google Images
Then there’s the Egoista. I like this car is it reminds me of the Batmobile. According to the Daily News, the Egoista has a single seat, boasts a 600 horsepower, V-10 engine (even I know that’s big) and has active aerodynamic aids that include a variety of flaps that open and close “depending on the driving conditions.”

Egoista is Italian for selfish and I think that is what Lamborghini is … selfish. The company does not plan to go into production with the Egoista. Not that it would matter to me … the estimated cost of the Egoista would be in the millions.

If I was a car enthusiast, and money were no object, I could be swayed to ooh and aah over these two driving machines. Anyone care to take a spin around the block in one of these concept cars?



No comments:

Post a Comment