Pages

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Commercialization of Superman

On June 15th, I saw Man of Steel on its opening weekend. This is an uncommon occurrence for me. I rarely see a movie the first or second day it hits the theaters. Honestly, I usually wait until a movie is out in Redbox because I don’t think most movies are worth $10 to $14. The only other movies I have seen opening weekend are the two rebooted Star Trek flicks, Star Trek (2009) and Star Trek Into Darkness.

Courtesy Google Images
I enjoyed the Superman reboot. I think director Zack Snyder did a credible job recreating the mythos that is the Man of Steel I remember from my childhood. This is probably because he has been a Superman fan for a number of years. According to Kryptonsite.com, Snyder is a fan of the series, Smallville which ran on the WB from 2001 through 2011. “Smallville, by itself, quietly has kept Superman in the consciousness …” states Snyder.

Courtesy Google Images
The movie is good; the villain is General Zod … and judging from the fight scenes, which are … epic, it’s obvious we live in a video game era. They are hectic, building razing, no way you are going to pick up everything in single viewing, affairs. It’s funny, though; I couldn’t help but wonder what was happening to all the people who lived and worked in the buildings that were being trashed. I know, suspend belief.

What I can’t believe is the number of products that are woven into this flick. According to Businessweek.com, over 100 companies paid a total of almost $160 million for embedded products.

I know product placement is not a new concept. Mirriad.com reports that in 1896, directors Auguste and Louis Lumière inserted the logo of Sunlight Soap into their movie, Parade of the 8th Battalion, in exchange for publicity and distribution help.

Courtesy Google Images
But, there are scenes in  Superman when I felt the selling of products interfered with the viewing. In the first two mega-fight scenes, I saw obvious pimping of IHOP and Sears. The second fight ended with Superman standing amidst huge piles of rubble, and the background exhibits the perfectly preserved marque of Sears. Hell, I was in Sears this past Sunday and noted their Sears’ special edition Superman comic book.

As I mentioned earlier, I did like the movie and I understand the importance of product placement, but when does it take precedence over the film?


Does anyone else share my distaste for the blatant insertion of commercials into movies?

No comments:

Post a Comment