Pages

Thursday, August 8, 2013

The Devil You Know - Episode III

WHAT’S GONE BEFORE: In Episode II Barney escapes the jocks’ wrath and meets a janitor who says he can help Barney get to MIT.

***

“But, your mom won’t let you go.” Videl looked at the ceiling and tapped his chin with his index and middle fingers. “What would you say if I told you I could help you with that?”

“You’re just a janitor,” scoffed Barney.

“You, of all people, should know looks can be deceiving. Let’s, for the sake of argument, say I have . . . connections.”

Artwork Credit: Matt Ryan
Videl extended a hand and helped Barney to his feet. He guided him to a sink and stood behind him. Barney set his glasses on the porcelain, rinsed his face and patted his cheeks dry with a paper towel. He looked in the mirror and inspected his blurry reflection. He squinted but didn’t see Videl’s image in the mirror. “Where’d you go?” he queried.
“Right behind you,” purred Videl.

Barney turned and there stood the fuzzy janitor, less than two feet away. He spun and checked the mirror; no Videl. He nearly poked out an eye fumbling to put on his glasses. With his eyesight restored, he gazed in the reflective glass but saw only himself.

“What’s going on? How’re you doing that?”

“I’m not doing anything. It’s the natural order of things. I don’t have a reflection. I don’t cast a shadow and I cannot be captured on film.”

“That’s impossible! There’s a scientific explanation,” reasoned Barney.
“Not everything can be explained,” countered Videl.

“Really?” Barney turned his back against the sink. “So what are you, a vampire?” His query dripped with sarcasm.

“There are no such things as vampires,” said Videl. “What I am is the one who can make all your dreams come true.”

Barney scoffed. “And you think Dirk is overreaching. You’ve got a nice little God complex going there.”

Videl chuckled. “Not God, definitely not God; quite the opposite.”

“Oh, what then, the Devil?” asked Barney. I’m clearly conversing with a person who should be on antipsychotics, he thought.

“Ding, ding, ding,” chimed Videl. “Give the lad a prize. Tell him what he’s won.” Videl wrapped his right arm around Barney’s left shoulder and pulled him tight to his body. Barney twitched but was unable to wriggle loose. Videl waved his left hand in a grand gesture. “That’s right, Boy; I’m Satan, Beelzebub, Old Cloots. And I’m here to grant you whatever your heart most desires.” He paused for effect. “You want M.I.T. You got M.I.T.”

“You’re nuts! Let me go.” Barney squirmed, but Videl had his arms pinned to his sides and he lacked the strength to break free. “Help, help me,” he yelled.

“Scream, yell, do whatever you want, no one will hear you,” goaded Videl. “You want to leave?” He relaxed his grip on Barney.

Barney rushed for the door and yanked it open. Before he could take another step, he was hit with the heat of a thousand blast furnaces. Confused, he slammed the door shut. That much heat, would at the very least, cause the door handle to glow red hot, but it was cool to the touch. He cracked the door but the heat was so intense, he could only keep it open for a brief second.

This is nuts. There’s a logical explanation, he thought. I’m knocked out. Yeah, that’s it. Dirk beat me into a coma and I’m in a hospital bed.

END – EPISODE III

Is Barney dreaming? Only Patrick Duffy knows for certain. See you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment