Pages

Monday, September 23, 2013

The Devil You Know - Episode IX

WHAT’S GONE BEFORE: In Episode VIII Barney seals the deal with Videl and enrolls at M.I.T.

Attired in baggy cargo shorts, a tee and sandals, Barney lagged behind a pack of students making their way to morning classes. He was lost in thought as he strolled along the path…

Barney heard from behind, “Pretty proud of yourself?”

He smiled. He had been expecting this visit. “Yeah.” He turned to face Videl. Raz stood behind the Devil to the right.

“Still wearing the sunglasses,” purred Videl.

“Figured I’d be seein’ you,” quipped Barney.

“Did, huh?”

Artwork Credit: Matt Ryan
“When did you figure it out?”

“This morning. When Raz brought it to my attention. I,” Videl paused, “realized things were going to change. That little caveat you buried in the EEA . . . magnificent!”

Barney stood a bit more erect; his shoulders pushed back. “I know, I wrote it!”

Videl hummed briefly. “So you’re enjoying school.”

“I’m not treated like some freak of nature here. I’m able to concentrate on my studies. I’m triple majoring.”

“A triple major,” Videl nodded appreciably. “Impressive. It would have been interesting to see you accomplish that feat.”

“Of course I’ll accomplish it,” Barney sneered. “I have a four-point-oh.”

“You had a good run here. You got to experience what you always longed for; that’s more than most people three times your age can say.”

Barney stepped closer to Videl, “I don’t know what you’re playing at, but I won; you lost. Go away!”

Videl chuckled. “You are so naïve. Do you think you’re the first person to beat the Devil?”

“What are you babbling about?” Barney widened his stance.

Videl exhaled slowly and smiled. “People have been making deals with the Devil for centuries. Napoleon, Hitler, Madoff; they all had one thing in common; they thought they could outsmart Beelzebub.

“But,” Videl paused to reflect. He pressed his palms and fingertips together and tapped the outside of his index fingers against his lips. “Every couple centuries, there comes someone who actually does it.”

“It sounds like you’re happy you lost,” said a confused Barney.

“Happy?” started Videl. “I’m ecstatic. I’ve been doing this for a very long time.” He sighed.

“So, you’ve been a good little soul snatcher. Hooray for you.” Barney twirled in index finger. “What’s your point?”

“You’re bright; I suspect you’ll figure out the rules quicker than any of us.”

“Rules?”

“Yes, rules. I have to do everything in my power to collect souls to keep the fires of Hades burning. My staff and I scour the earth for souls. Once they’re identified, I close the deal. I have no choice.

“It’s all in here.” Videl held up an ancient looking book.

“What’s that?” asked Barney.

“This?” Videl held the text in an outstretched hand. “This is the guidebook. A few centuries ago, I stood where you are, on the cusp of greatness. I had grand aspirations. I was an accomplished violinist. I practiced and practiced but my skills only allowed me to get so far. I had about resigned myself to that fact when I met a woman who promised me everything. I didn’t like the deal she offered, so I convinced her to let me write my own. It was . . . brilliant; I was brilliant.” Videl stared into space, lost in a momentary reverie. “That’s the way it works.”

“Wait, are you saying if you beat the Devil you have to work for the Devil?”

END – EPISODE IX

In next week’s finale we discover Videl’s true intent. Is Barney as smart as he thought?

No comments:

Post a Comment