Pages

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

2011 Movie Favorites

This is my first, annual, end-of-the-year, top ten favorite movies of the year list.  To make my list, a movie needed to be a theatrical release (in any year) and viewed by me during the calendar year of 2011.  In that vein, you’ll note my first choice, District 9, was released in 2009.

District 9 is number one.  There’s plenty of action and I like the way the director, Neill Blomkamp, humanizes the aliens and creates a nice interaction between the alien protagonist and the human government agent.

The main concern, for me, in a science fiction story is plausibility.  Blomkamp takes an implausible situation, alien refugees, and makes it believable by providing a realistic scenario in which humans confine the aliens to what becomes a crime ridden refugee camp.  District 9 has all the elements of a good science fiction thriller high tech machinery, outstanding action sequences and a compelling story.  If you haven’t seen it, rent it.

Two of my selections are not in the science fiction/fantasy genre.  On a Clear Day is an Irish drama about a 50 year-old man who alienates his family, loses his job and decides to swim the English Channel.  Bridesmaids is on the list because it made me laugh and I think Melissa McCarthy is funny; she makes the movie.

A person’s favorites are subjective.  I know what appeals to me may not appeal to you.  This is my list; any thoughts?



Rank
Movie
Release Date
1
District 9
8/14/09
2
Paul
3/18/11
3
On a Clear Day
7/8/05
4
Battle: Los Angeles
3/11/11
5
Bridesmaids
5/13/11
6
Cowboys & Aliens
7/29/11
7
The Green Hornet
1/14/11
8
Super 8
6/10/11
9
The Adjustment Bureau
3/4/11
10
Captain America:  The First Avenger
7/22/11







No comments:

Post a Comment