Pages

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Movies to Watch in 2012

There are reports that attendance at movie theaters in 2011 was at its worst in years. There are theories as to why, such as cost or availability of movies on DVD and services like Netflix. I have a theory of my own. Don’t turn out crap! People would be willing to spend money on a decent product. In many cases (Transformers: Dark of the Moon) it seems like many movie makers are more interested in glitz over substance, big action over story.

Turn out a good product – people will come.

This week I present the 2012 movie releases I most look forward to viewing. I originally intended the list to be a top 10 but there are not 10 on my radar. These are the 9 movies I’d like to see before the ball drops on 2012.

1. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey; release date is 12/14/12. Peter Jackson is the director and here’s hoping he maintains the same high quality he exhibited in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I’ve read J.R.R. Tolkien’s, The Hobbit numerous times. I will read it again before December. What can I say? I’m a fan. Tolkien has created a world that I lose myself in every time I read the series. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is the release I most anticipate.

2. The Hunger Games; release date is 3/23/12. The Hunger Games is based on a book of the same name by Suzanne Collins. It is the first book in The Hunger Games trilogy. Thus far I’ve only read the first book of the set but it was an easy, enjoyable read. Suzanne Collins has created a world where the masses are kept in check through fear and hunger.

3. The Avengers; release date is 5/4/12. The Avengers brings together some of Marvel Comics favorites (Iron Man, Captain America, Hawkeye, Thor, Black Widow and Nick Fury) in this flick.

4. John Carter of Mars; release date is 3/9/12. John Carter is the creation of Edgar Rice Burroughs. I became familiar with John Carter when I was a kid via DC Comics. I’m curious to see how director Andrew Stanton brings this character to the big screen.

5. Men In Black 3; release date is 5/25/12. Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones are back for the third installment. It’s been ten years since Men in Black II.

6. The Amazing Spider-Man; release date is 7/3/12. Andrew Garfield replaces Tobey Maguire as Peter Parker/Spiderman.

7. The Dark Knight Rises; release date is 7/20/12. Christian Bale is back as Batman/Bruce Wayne. This tale takes place eight years after the events of The Dark Knight.

8. Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters; release date is 3/2/12. This just looks interesting. It’s supposed to take place 15 years after Hansel and Gretel had their run-in with the wicked witch. The brother/sister duo has become witch hunters.

9. Dark Shadows; release date is 5/11/12. This movie is based on the soap opera-like series about a vampire, Barnabas Collins, which ran from 1966 to 1971. I was a wee lad but I remember getting home from school and watching the creepy goings on of the Collins’ clan. Can Johnny Depp pull off Barnabas?

That’s it; my top 9. It’s subjective to be sure. Did I miss any? Let me know.

2 comments:

  1. And I am adding The Raven, coming out in March! I cannot wait for this film. It is going to be AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Raven – I like Edgar Allen Poe and I can understand the interest in his fictionalized pursuit of a serial killer.
    I did see a trailer for a movie that I’m going to “pencil” into my list of 2012 releases I’d like to view – Red Tails. It’s about a group of Tuskegee trainees who get called to service.

    ReplyDelete