Pages

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Happy Father’s Day

I saw a Shoebox greeting card which read something like, “How did Father’s Day originate? Because a few weeks after Mother’s Day, someone said, ‘Hey, wait a minute!’”

What … I thought it was humorous.

According to
The Great Idea Finder, Father’s Day was the brain child of Mrs. Sonora Smart Dodd of Spokane, Washington. In 1910, two years after the advent of Mother’s Day, Mrs. Dodd sought a way to honor her father, a Civil War veteran, who raised her and her five siblings after their mother perished during childbirth.

In 1972, the
Nixon administration permanently established Father’s Day.
 

This year, for Father’s Day, my wife treated me to dinner on Saturday night: a man-sized rack of BBQ pork ribs that brought me to my knees. I had to admit, reluctantly, that I was unable to eat the whole portion and had to request the proverbial doggie bag. I’ve made concession to age. In a bygone era, I would have finished my meal, my wife’s meal, my dessert and her dessert.

Sunday, we travelled to Weymouth, MA and picnicked with our family. For the first time in a while, we were able to have all three boys, our daughter-in-law and our grandson under the same roof.

All-in-all, I’d call my Father’s Day weekend a winner.

How about you folks? Anyone care to share their Father’s Day celebration? Leave a comment below.


From left to right
Tyler, Me, Dan & Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment