Pages

Monday, July 2, 2012

Flying High

There’s a store in The Promenade Shops at Evergreen Walk in Manchester, Connecticut, that sells some pretty cool electronic tchotchkes; items such as remote controlled helicopters and cars. Sadly, I am embarrassed to write, I do not remember the store’s name.

The cars didn’t interest me but the ’copters did. It was painfully obvious that my flying skills were inadequate. When I managed to get the thing off the ground, I discovered I could not control its flight.

This is of no surprise. My various attempts at piloting remote controlled, flying objects have never ended well. Humpty Dumpty comes to mind.

That is how I know that a Volocopter is not in my future. Granted, a manned Volocopter will not be remote controlled but I suspect my flying skills would be just as poor.

Courtesy Google Images
The Volocopter is an 18-rotor personal helicopter, currently in development by e-volo. According to e-volo.com, they completed the first manned flight with an electrically powered, vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) aircraft. The company’s ultimate goal is a two-seat, personal aircraft. There’s no news regarding its public availability.

What do you think? Would you like a Volocopter for your morning commute?


No comments:

Post a Comment