Pages

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Full Circle

I’ve been thinking about health issues a lot lately, and not just because universal healthcare, Obamacare to some, has been front and center in the political debate.

My health is not an issue. I just had my annual checkup. My vital statistics were outstanding:
  • Blood pressure – 118/74
  • Weight – down 4 pounds from last year’s exam
  • Heart rate – 62 beats/minute
  • My LDL (bad cholesterol) – down to 100 (was 105)
My concerns revolve around eldercare. We’ve been dealing with the declining health of my 93-year-old mother. She fell while trying to answer the telephone, resulting in a compression fracture of the ribs and a prolonged stay at a rehab facility (her third such stay in as many years). She was sent home and continued her rehabilitation with in-home professionals (physical therapist, occupational therapist and a nurse).

Unfortunately, they can’t be there 24/7. For the first few nights, we used a baby monitor to track her nighttime activity. We have a constant concern that she’s going to fall again.

She’s reached the stage of life where her mind is sharp but her body isn’t.

The idea of moving her into a “home” is unpalatable..We’re straddling a fine line between her ability to continue living somewhat on her own verses her need for help. I remember when a hernia didn’t slow her so watching her physical deterioration is tough to witness.

In a lot of ways caring for an elder is similar to caring for an infant or toddler. The difference being, a baby becomes more stable as she ages.

Is anyone caring for an aging parent? Please share your coping strategies.

No comments:

Post a Comment